CCQ gave 140 student-made quilts to six community organizations in 2019. The quilts were crafted by women in our prison quilting program in classes we teach in the Coffee Creek Correctional Facility dining room. Recipients of the quilts include:
- Meridian Park Hospital, a medical center in Tualatin
- Community Warehouse, a furniture bank for neighbors in need
- Good Samaritan Hospital, a medical center in NW Portland
- Emanuel Hospital, a medical center in NE Portland
- Kinship House, a nonprofit serving foster kids
- Cottingham Place SAFE, A domestic violence shelter for women and children
Each student in our program makes three quilts. The first two are for donation and they keep the third quilt. We poll our students periodically to ask them what types of organizations they would like to support. They’ve told us they want to give quilts to organizations that support foster kids, hospice programs, and families in need.